1766 - 1816
||Capt. John KIRKPATRICK, ,of the HEICS ship ,"Henry Addington" |
||,of the HEICS ship ,"Henry Addington" |
||Maughold, Isle of Man
||15 Aug 1816
- Ref:The Gentlemens magazine ,Sep.1816,page 283.,The European magazine, and London review, Volume 70,1816
- John was orphaned at an early age when both parents died.He was at school in Dumfries in 1784. In "The gentleman's magazine, and historical chronicle, Volume 86, Part 2"of 1816,page 283 -in his obituary,John is described as being orphaned as an infant - and an only child, with "no near family connection".
The index of his father John's Will ,of 1767(Ref:Summary of Wills-Maughold 1750-1799) ,says he was placed under the care of his uncle William.This William was William Kirkpatrick of Conheath and Newton(1736-1787)
He assisted his cousin ,John Kirkpatrick of Conheath ("John of Culloch"),the son of William Kirkpatrick of Conheath and Newton ,liquidate the burden of family debt,by contributing his portion of his inherited family lands (two fifths of Nether Glenkiln).In 1790 John Kirkpatrick,of Culloch was in court regarding a disputed rental agreement in relation to Over Glenkiln ,and Nether Glenkiln.(Ref:Decisions of the Court of Session, 1781-1822: in the form of a dictionary) In Maj.Gen Charles Kirkpatricks book "The Closeburn Kirkpatricks" ,page 178,he wrote that John (the orphan) assisted his Uncle John to liquidate the family debt.I suspect that he meant his Cousin John ,of Culloch, by contributing his portion of the inherited lands two fifths of Nether Glenkiln. - unless he had already pledged the lands to his uncle William Kirkpatrick .
In his Will of 1816 ,held in the National Archives ,John left a great deal of money in a large number of bequeaths to old friends and cousins,both Kirkpatricks and Forbes,including Miss Jane Forbes Kirkpatrick,of Dumfries,and the children of John Kirkpatrick,of Culloch, but also left two hundred pounds to the Parish of Ramsey ,Isle of Man ,for the comfort of the poor,to be held in trust ,and also funds for the building of Sunday schools on the island . He bequeathed all his library books,and library table to "my old friend and shipmate ,Captain Murray."He also left substantial amounts to the widows of former comrades,and two godsons,George Roy and John Timmins..
- (Research):On the 31st of January,1804 John, Master of The Henry Addington,was part of a fleet of sixteen small merchant ships that departed China under Capt Nathaniel Dance,acting Commodore of the fleet.On the 14th February a strange sail was spotted to leeward.This was a French convoy, identified as Rear Admiral Linois' squadron, consisting of one line of battle ship,three frigates and one brig,including the 74 gun Marengo. The Frenchman sent his fleet to cut the merchant ships off,but had badly underestimated the bravery ,and skill of the HEICS Captains ,and crews.After a 45 minute battle,the French were soundly defeated, and hauled their wind and sailed away.The British gave chase for a short time. For their efforts the acting Commodore was knighted, presented with a commemorative sword ,valued at 100 pounds, two thousand guineas,and a piece of plate(a vase) by Lloyds Patriotic Fund. John Kirkpatrick and the other captains were presented with a commemorative sword each,valued at 50 pounds,five hundred guineas(Captain Timmins was given one thousand guineas ) ,and a piece of plate.
Ref1:Memorials to serve for a history of the parish of St. Mary, Rotherhithe in the county of Surrey and in the administrative county of London.
Ref 2:Naval Chronicles Vol. XII page 140, Year 1804. The commemorative sword is now in the private collection of the Brussels family.(2012)
"A register of ships, employed in the service of the Honorable the United The East India Company 1760-1810" by Horatio Charles Hardy,1811, catalogues Johns service.
He is first seen in 1787-1788 , as a junior member of the crew ,aboard the "Earl Talbot",under Capt John Woolmore, 1791-1792 on the "Lascelles" under Capt.Richard A. Farrington,1793-1794 on the "Albion",under Capt.William Wells,1795-1796 he was 1st Officer on the "Albion",under Capt.Andrew Timbrell,1797-1799 does not appear in the ships crew lists,1800-1801 as 1st Officer on "The Henry Addington",under Capt.Thomas Wakefield. On 25 th August 1802 John was sworn in as Captain , and given charge of the " Henry Addington".
He captained this ship from 1802 until at least 1809. The original ship named "Henry Addington" was lost in 1798,the new ship of that name was built in 1800 by the owner David Hunter,Esq,of Old South Sea House,Broad Street,London.
In his obituary ,it is written that he might have "risen to the highest honours in that profession(the British Navy),but his fate ordained him to acquire independance in another way,and he used the advantages of it,on the occasions where his friendship,or charity was called upon,with unbounded liberality". This would indicate that John trained in the British Naval Service prior to enlisting in the HEICS.
- (Medical):Ref:The Gentlemens Magazine,Sep.1816
||Kirkpatrick Family Archives
||20 Sep 2013 |
||John KIRKPATRICK, ,Merchant,of "Kirkmichael",Ramsey, The Isle of Man, b. 14 Jan 1739, Dumfries, Dumfrieshire, Scotland , d. 30 Apr 1767, London, Middlesex, England |
||Jean FORBES, ,of The Isle of Man, b. 1742, d. 26 Oct 1766, Maughold, Isle of Man |
||25 Jun 1766
||Maughold, Isle of Man
- Ref:Extracted from Microfilm of original records at the Manx Museum, Douglas, Isle of Man -Batch number-M038171
This site powered by ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2013.