Matches 1 to 50 of 8,756
|| Linked to
Ref:The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954) Friday 10 July 1953 p 33 Advertising "PUBLIC NOTICES. LAURA HANNAH R CHARDS( DECEASED) LATE OF ORROROO IN THE STATE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA(WIDOW) Any person knowing whereabouts of Ethel Annie Churchill Selway (married nane if any. unknown) a daughter of the Marriage of Frederick Edward Selway and Annie Jane Selway (nee Loughhead) who it is understood was born in Adelaide approximately seventy-five years ago please communicate with ELDER'S TRUSTEE AND EXECUTOR COMPANY 37-39 Currie-Street , Adelaide."
|SELWAY, Ethel Annie Churchill (I17911)
|| At the time of the 1861 & 1871 census ,Henry and Harriet were living in Claybrooke Magna, Leicestershire.1881 , living in Sharnford, Leicestershire & listed as farmer with 80 acres..|
They arrived in Sydney from London 20 April 1884 on steamship "Liguria" with son Oscar as 3rd class unassisted immigrants.
|| It would appear that Alfred was in England at the outbreak of WWI and enlisted in the British Armed Forces in London,England on 25th November 1914 and saw action in France with the Army Service Corp in the 356 Motor Transport Company.On the 19th of September 1915 he was discharged from the ASC in order to take a temporary commision in the Royal Field Artillery He then requested to attend the RFC School of Instruction in Reading and commenced training on the 7th January 1916.After completion of training he was promoted to Lieutenant.At some time after graduating and re-entering the conflict as a pilot , family records attest that he was shot down in Germany, escaped back to his unit with a comrade, and was shot down again. On the second occasion he remained in a POW camp until Armistice.He was repatriated back to England on 2nd May 1919 , demobilised on 12th June 1919, finally relinquishing his Commision on the 25th May 1920. On his way home to Australia, he was in Shanghai riding in a horse race when he fell and was paralysed down one side.|
He returned home ,accompanied by Shin Hung Chow and William Kum Ning -(on the manifest as Servants) arriving on the S.S."Tango Maru" on 15th October 1922,four months after his fathers death.
Unfortunately the entire record of service for Alfred and most others who served in the British forces during WWI are very scarce or non existant.Around 60 percent of British service records were destroyed in the bombing of Britain during World War II.
|PINKERTON, Alfred Lionel (I6152)
|| Ref:"Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564- 1955." ||KIRKPATRICK, Capt. Thomas ,The East India Company , and 26th Madras Infantry (I6862)
|| Succeeded his father in 1628 .He inherited an impoverished and precarious title,much of his own doing due to his,and his two brothers lawlessness. Ref:Gentleman of The Privy Chamber 1639-41 ||KIRKPATRICK, Sir Thomas ,15th Laird of Closeburne (I19348)
|| (Ordained 1869) ||BROWN, Rev James B.A , Minister of 2nd Ballinahatty,Omagh (I451)
|| (Ref:A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the landed gentry of Ireland,by Sir Bernard Burke,Miscellanea Genealogica Et Heraldica: Fourth Series edited by W. Bruce Bannerman) ||Family F7334
|| Alfred's surname is misspelt as Siler in the NSW BDM marriage register. ||Family F4241
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Living (I22998)
|| At about 22 years of age, Elinor was tried at Kildare and in April 1802 was sentenced to 7 years transportation for an unknown crime. Travelling on the "Rolla", she left Cork on November 4, 1802 and arrived in Sydney on May 12, 1803.|
According to the General Muster of 1823, Elinor was widowed and living with her children at Kissing Point, located half way between Sydney Cove and Parramatta, in what is now in the vicinity of Ryde and Eastwood.
|BOLTON, Elinor ,Transported Convict (I20177)
|| At the death of his uncle, James Grierson (died September 7th, 1879) Philip James Hamilton inherited the Estate of Dalgoner, & took on the name of Grierson, thus becoming Hamilton-Grierson in c1880.He was invested as a Knight in 1910 ||HAMILTON-GRIERSON, Sir Philip James ,of Palmerston Place, Edinburgh (I7228)
|| Birth is recorded as Alexander Conelly,son of Robert Conelly. Marriage is recorded as Alexander Connolly. ||CONNOLLY, Alexander ,of Lisconnan. (I679)
|| Blanche was residing at 9 Gloucester Rd,Newton Abbot,Devon, England , with her father ,and Aunt Alice at the time of the 1901 UK Census.She is described as single and employed as an English Governess. ||KIRKPATRICK, Blanche Emma (I9107)
|| Captain Alexander Chesney, an Irishman of Scottish descent emigrated to South Carolina in 1772,had taken the loyalist side during the revolutionary war, and served with distinction under Hastings (afterwards Lord Moira) and Cornwallis, and at the time of his second son's birth, was settled down as a revenue-officer at Ballyvea, in the County of Down . ||CHESNEY, Capt Alexander ,J.P,of Packolet,County Down. (I7552)
|| Christening records have Jessie entered as Janet. Jessie migrated to Australia with her husband William and all surviving children arriving in Victoria in November 1886 aboard the Duke of Devonshire.She suffered with valvular disease of the heart and Oedema of the lung ,succombing to her illness on 30th Dec1889 at 36 years of age ||CLYDESDALE, Jessie (I2)
|| Darkey Flat Goldfields are located 18 miles N.W. of Warwick.|
This became known as the Talgai Goldfield and covers an area of 77 square miles. Both alluvial and reef mining methods were worked here. The richest alluvial gold was found in Dunn's Gully and at Gum Flat just west of Pratten. The alluvium is rich but patchy, and varies in depth from two to twenty feet. Many coarse gold nuggets were found up to sixteen ounces, the largest of which was fifty-five ounces found by Mr. H. Gibson in 1895. Many reef mines were worked in this general area and were found to be rich in gold. However, this goldfield was abandoned due to other goldfields being opened up around this time. There is still gold there as it was never worked properly.
|| Edwy was the name of the King of England 955-59 AD-"Edwy the Fair". ||PENBERTHY, Edwy Coates (I1744)
|| Elizabeth was married three times ,her third and last husband being Samuel Kirkpatrick of Hoddam Castle.|
The Herries family had owned Hoddom Castle, where they are said to have imprisoned kidnapped Englishmen in the 15th century, but in 1607 it belonged to Samuel Kirkpatrick, who married Elizabeth Stewart ,widow of Johnstone of Newbie in that year(her third marriage). It was purchased in around 1630 by the Sharpe family. Charles Kirkpatrick Sharpe, the celebrated antiquarian, whom Sir Walter Scott called the Scottish Horace Walpole, and the author of several poems in the Border Minstrelsy, was born there in 1781, and died in Edinburgh in 1851.
|| England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 for Ethel Lindsay Crawley ||CRAWLEY, Ethel Lindsay ,of "Eversley" , Altrincham, Cheshire , England (I25404)
|| Esther's father W.U.Eddis married her mother ,Mary Adamson,daughter of Alexander Adamson,Esq of St Andrew's Fyfeshire,on 15th May,1850,in Calcutta.Reported in the 29th May 1850 edition 'Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce' ||EDDIS, Esther Grace ,daughter of W. Upton Eddis,Bengal Civil Service (I15243)
|| Francis and Mary's family home was called Marsalou,and used the first syllable of each of his eldest three daughters Christian names ,Mary,Sarah, and Louise (the fourth daughter Genevieve was not born when he named the residence.) .A second home, "The Lodge", is opposite the St leonards Council Chambers.|
Ref -letter to the editor The Sydney Morning Herald 22 October 1936.
|LORD, Francis ,M.P,of " Marsalou",St Leonards,Sydney (I10500)
|| Francis applied for a cadetship with the HEICS in 1789-99 (Ref:Applications for Cadetships in EIC Armies 1789-1860 -Index)|
He was dismissed from the Madras Army on 5 Apr 1810, and ordered to remove himself to England at the earliest opportunity.He was to be courtmartialled in 1809 ,along with eighteen other officers ,the charge being "desertion of their post at Chittledroog , and disobeying a direct lawful order.They were also charged with plundering villages between Chittledroog ,and Seringapatam." Those charged had the option of dismissal , or face the Court.( Reference -Selections from Calcutta gazettes of the years 1784 -1823 inclusive .
Francis sailed from Madras to England on the vessel Ann , departing on 17th March,1811-but as Mr F.K Aiskill,and not as Capt Aiskill.Ref:Entry from Departures from Madras Almanac 1810 - 1820
|AISKILL, Capt. Francis Kirkpatrick ,of the 1st Battalion,15th Regiment,HEICS (I21526)
|| Halifax LV833 took off from RAF Driffield at 2122 hours on the night of 24/25th July 1944 to bomb Stuttgart, Germany. Twelve aircraft from the Squadron took part in the raid and two of these including LV833 failed to return. Post war a Missing Research & Enquiry unit reported that the aircraft collided with another aircraft (HX243 of 466 Sqn) and crashed near the village of Bonlanden, which is approx. 9 miles south of Stuttgart. Seven of the crew in LV833 were killed and Flt Sgt Campbell (RAAF) became a POW. Four of the crew FO Walsh, PO Croft, PO Smith and Flt Sgt Conway are buried in the Durnbach War Cemetery. Durnbach is a village 16kms east of Bad Tolz a town 48 kms south of Munich, Germany. Flt Sgt Whiteley, Sgt Lloyd and Sgt Palmer are missing and their names are commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing, Runnymede, Surrey, UK. FO Walsh had received an immediate award of the DFC on 7 July 1944. ||CROFT, Pilot-Officer. William Denman ,R.A.A.F. (I15563)
|| Henriett'a second title was Viscondesa de San Enrique. ||CABARRUS - KIRKPATRICK, Dona Enriqueta (Henrietta) 1st Condesa de la Nava de Tajo. (I21532)
|| Henrietta was residing at Mount Elephant,Victoria,in 1914(Ref:1914 Electoral Roll for Victoria,Australia)-Mount Elephant was purchased by her maternal grandfather John Lang Currie in 1850 - she later left for England,arriving in Plymouth, England ,on 11 July,1914.|
Queensland Figaro (Brisbane, QLD : 1901 - 1936) Saturday 14 August 1915 p 2 Article "Mrs. Aubyn Wilson, who was formerly Miss May Grice, of Melbourne,, is staying at St. Andrews, N.B."(N.B -North Britain-would indicate Scotland)
Queensland Figaro (Brisbane, QLD : 1901 - 1936 )Saturday 2 October 1915. "Mrs. Percy Collins has joined her sister, Mrs;. Aubyn Wilson, at her house , on the river at Marlow. Miss Joan Innes-Noad has been one of their house party during the week." -Marlow is an historic English town in Buckinghamshire..
|GRICE, Henrietta May ,of Mount Elephant ,Victoria,Australia (I18372)
|| His wife, Countess of Ross, was deserted by her husband. She appealed to the Bishop of Moray, who unfortunately for him, gave judgement in her favourin 1392. The Wolf was outraged. All out for revenge, he came down from his stronghold, the castle of Lochindorb and ransacked and burned Forres and Elgin. Elgin of course, being the ecclesiastical centre of the Bishopric of Moray.|
Setting off fires, mainly in the College, the Canon's houses and the Hospital of the Maison Dieu, he terrified the people of Elgin, forcing them to flee with their families into the countryside. In 1390 he burned Elgin Cathedral, destroying many of its records including family, legal and monastic.
|| Hugh and Anne migrated with their seven children on "Walmer Castle" ||Family F1315
|| In 1884 , Frederick,a mining engineer ,migrated to Australia where he settled, initially in Melbourne, pursuing his mining engineering career. He worked as an analyst at Bethanga and was General Manager of Great Cobar Mines. Interested in the propagation of technical knowledge, he was for many years associated with the Australasian Institute of Mining Engineers that later became the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.He was a prolific writer of technical books and journal articles.He was also assistant Commissioner in the Boy Scouts Association. ||POWER, Frederick Danvers ,of "Penmaen",Mosman,New South Wales,Australia (I15256)
|| In 1933 Jane lost both lower legs to poor circulation.For many years she was involved with the Indianapolis museum of Art, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra ,The Children's Museum ,and the International Violin Competition. ||WELDON, Jane (I23517)
|| In1896, the brothers Mr. W. A. Fullerton, B.A. and Mr. J. A. Fullerton,B.A. (assited shortly afterwards by Mr. T. Kirkpatrick, B.A.) opened the Ballymena High School in High Street. Enrolment very quickly outstripped the premises. When Mr. King died in 1900, the Govenors of the Academy offered the vacant post of Headmaster to Mr. W. A.Fullerton, B.A ||FULLERTON, Joseph Alexander ,Headmaster of Ballymena Academy. (I23486)
|| James and a friend John Hamilton Mortimer Lanyon migrated to Australia during the early 1830s. In 1833 they were amongst the first squatters to established sheep runs in the Queanbeyan region, building the Lanyon Homestead. In 1835 they acquired several adjoining blocks on the Murrumbidgee River.|
Wright established Cuppacumbalong located on the southern side of the Murrumbidgee River in 1839. At the time this region was situated outside the Nineteen Counties of New South Wales and despite the uncertainty of land tenure, many squatters ran large numbers of sheep and cattle beyond the boundaries. In 1848 financial difficulties forced Wright to sell Lanyon to Andrew Cunningham and shift his operations to Cuppacumbalong. Wright sold 'Cuppacumbalong' to the de Salis family in 1855.
|WRIGHT, James (I24747)
|| James Leitch's death was registered in Brisbane by his stepdaughter Beryl Evans Nee Lumsden-The certificate incorrectly states the informant as B.Lumsden-Stepson.James Leitch was cremated at Mt Thompson in Brisbane Qld and a memorial plaque is located in the Services Memorial Section of the Memorial Gardens , in recognition of his Service during WW I - WW I Service Number 32029 ||KIRKPATRICK, James Leitch ,of Hoxton Park,NSW,Australia (I20)
|| Jane travelled to Australia ,with her sister Helen,as assisted passengers,and arrived 31st March 1861 on "Queen Bee" from Edinburgh.Occupation-Housemaid. ||MOFFAT, Jane (I5415)
|| Jane was previously married to Andrew Lumsden,son of Andrew Lumsden and Isabella Nicol of Montrose Scotland. Andrew died in 1916 ||Family F8
|| John Adams was one of the pioneers of the industrial revolution in Antrim .|
He had a farm at Ballyweaney (later called Chequer Hall farm) and he registered the freehold of this farm on 30th October, 1780. In the 18th century weaving was usually carried on by weavers working in their own houses, but John Adams was before his time in that he erected a weaving shed on his farm. Here he employed quite a lot of weavers to produce "Chequer" linen, which was woven with blue and white linen thread in the pattern of a chequerboard. The thread was spun and dyed, as well as woven on the premises. There was a substantial trade in Chequer both in Great Britain and in the United States of America. It was particularly popular for the curtains and hangings of four-poster beds of that period. The Chequer was stamped with a brass stamp bearing an illustration of a spinning wheel and the words ... "Jn. Adams, Loughgeel, Antrim" ... round the outside. This brass stamp was found some years age in one of the fields at Chequer Hall when it was being ploughed and came into the possession of J.B. Hamilton, solicitor, of Ballymoney. John Adams died in 1807, and after his death the manufacture at Chequer Hall gradually ceased, and the weaving shed was converted into an ordinary farm building. Ref:Roots in Ulster Soil, by Mullins and Mullins
|ADAMS, John ,of Chequer Hall,County Antrim (I21117)
|| Katherine was widowed before marrying Edward, and Edward was described as a Gentleman ,in their marriage record. Witness to the marriage was Thomas Sanden Gorman Kirkpatrick(a distant cousin of Edward -7th cousin)|
Her father , William Adair Carter( who died in Aberdour,North Britain 24th Sept 1836,and her mother,Elizabeth Hyde Hayne married in St George,Hanover Square,London ,on the 4th Sept. 1824)
Strangely, the only baptism record located is for Eliza Catherine Carter(daughter of William Adair Carter,Esq. and Elizabeth Hyde Carter),but her marriage record uses the name Katherine Josephine Kleczkowski-widowed daughter of William Adair Carter,Esq
Ref:London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 Record for Eliza Catherine Carter.
|| Mary Ann Salmon and her sister-in-law Sarah Salmon (nee Jennings), the wife of Thomas Armitage Salmon and their children, arrived in New South Wales aboard the ship 'Princess Victoria' as free settlers on 4th Feb 1834.Sarah was granted a publican's licence in 1835 and leased the 'Rose Inn' at Emu Plains.Thomas was granted a ticket of leave on 3 Apr 1835 and a certificate of freedom on 29 Jul 1837. ||SALMON, Mary Ann ,daughter of Joseph Salmon,of St. James St. ,Leeds (I15127)
|| No official Grave.Remembered with Honour-the Ypres(Menin Gate)Memorial,Belgium-Panel 7. Kirkpatrick/Boyland Memorial Park at Hoxton Park,NSW is dedicated to his memory.|
"Anzac House",behind which Sam was reportedly buried,changed hands many times in the weeks following Sams death , resulting in the pillbox and the surrounding area being totally obliterated.
|KIRKPATRICK, Private. Samuel ,Stretcher Bearer,of Hoxton Park,NSW,Australia (I54)
|| Private James Arthur PEBERDY, a 21 year old Grazier from Gungal, New South Wales. He enlisted on 19 December 1917. After embarkation and arrival in Egypt where he underwent additional training, he was allotted to the 12th Light Horse Regiment; and at the conclusion of the war Returned to Australia 20 July 1919. ||PEBERDY, James Arthur ,of "Lowana" Blackall ,Queensland,Australia (I18836)
|| Rector of Castlepollard 1869 - 89 ||KIRKPATRICK, Rev. George ,Rector of Castlepollard,County Westmeath, Ireland (I6643)
|| Ref:Alexander Chesney's Journal ,first published by Ohio State University in 1921,"Union County Heritage - South Carolina, 1981" ||Family F3467
|| Ref:Civil Marriage Records-Ireland Vital Records Index -Alexander and Margaret's fathers name was found in these records|
Ref:British Guiana Colonists Index
|| Ref:Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1889 - 1915) Saturday 30 March 1907 p 4 Family Noticess|
WEDDING AT ULMARRA. A pretty wedding took place at the residence of Mr. Pearson Coulter, by the Rev. Father Darcy, on St. Patrick's Day, when Mr. Michael O'Brien, junr., of Ulmarra, was married to Miss Jeanetta Walker Coulter, of Calliope. The bride, who was given away by her brother, was gowned in white silk richly trimmed with chiffon and lace ; she also wore a handsome necklet, which, with her shower bouquet, were the gifts of the bridegroom. She was attended by her sister, Miss L. Coulter, who was attired in a costume of cream taffeta, and wore a gold hand initialed ring, the gift of the bridegroom. Mr. P. O. Jones acted as best man. After the wedding breakfast, Mr. and Mrs. O'Brien left for Yamba, where they intend spending their honey- moon. The bride's travelling dress was brown cloth, trimmed with Paris lace, and hat to match. The presents were numerous and costly.
|| Ref:England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005.|
Ref:UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 Record for Lucius E B Van Baerle.
Name: Lucius E B Van Baerle Birth Date: 1892 Age: 52 Port of Departure: Port Harcourt, Nigeria Arrival Date: 9 Aug 1944 Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England Ship Name: Stuyvesantt
|VAN BAERLE, Lucius Eugene Baerle , Rubber Planter,of Takoradi,Ghana (I12373)
|| Ref:England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8) ||ESCOTT, Elizabeth (I21522)
|| Ref:NSW BDM 31579/1910 ||GALLARD, Isabel Hope (I18743)
|| Ref:Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950- ||KIRKPATRICK, William Esq.,of Dundrennan House.Mayor of Walsall (I7123)
|| Ref:Singleton Argus (NSW : 1880 - 1954)Saturday 28 February 1885 "DEATH. COUSINS-On l5th Februnry, at her Parents' residence, Clounties, Singleton, SARAH J., the beloved wife of Walter Y. Cousins of Glen Munro, Denman, and youngest daughter of Hy. McFadden, aged 24 years." ||MCFADDEN, Sarah J. (I3823)
|| Ref:The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) Thursday 10 March 1892 p 6 Article"Mr. James Woodside, the well-known grazier, residing at Happy Valley, died last evening, at 8 o'clock, from apoplexy, caused by over-exertion in endeavouring to extinguish the fire burning on his estate." ||WOODSIDE, James ,of Happy Valley Station, Myrtleford, Victoria (I10082)
|| Ref:The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) Wednesday 5 February 1947 p 16 Family Notices .|
"QUEEN ATTENDS VICTORIAN GIRL'S WEDDING From Our Own Correspondent,London. The Queen and Princess Elizabeth attended the wedding of Australian Prudence Stewart-Wilson when she was married at St Mark's, North Audley st, to Major Eric Penn, MC, Grenadier Guards, nephew and ward of Major Arthur Penn, secretary to the Queen. The Queen's nephew, Major James Bowes-Lyon, Grenadier Guards, was best man. Lady Malvina Murray, with Rupert Hambro and David Vaughan, were in attendance, wear- ing the Royal Stuart tartan kilt, as well as Miss Diana Drumond and Mists Violet de Trafford. The bridesmaids wore champagne-tinted satin dresses and carried bunches of spring flowers."
This site powered by ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2013.